Monday, October 09, 2006

Willy Porter

random
Over the past weekend several friends of mine and I went to The Cedar to hear Willy Porter. Not only is he an incredible guitarist (I can tell and I don't even play guitar), but his talent extends to his song writing and stage presence. He makes you feel like he is genuinely happy to be performing and creating music for an audience he still appreciates and doesn't take for granted. His stage banter is entertaining (although his keyboardist's banter was plain odd...) and his improv is invigorating. He has a charming side-to-side head motion he does when he seems to really be into his music.

My prior experiences with Willy were when he was touring solo but this time it was with his band (including the slightly crazy keyboardist, complete with frizzy Art Garfunkel hair). Previously I was always amazed when he took topics from the audience (including Meerkats) and make up a song on the spot. This time he didn’t take audience topics, but he did make up a song that left me smiling and wondering how he kept the whole thing flowing.

Oh, and I should mention another positive thing about Willy is he is from Wisconsin. I wonder how much he likes cheese.

runnings
I couldn't resist another 10 mile photo. Again, great photo, not so attractive. However, it does show I was pretty happy to have completed the race.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Willy Porter...yes, he was indeed amazing! I just love his stage presence...he is truly into it, heart and soul. His lyrics are meaningful and whimsical and everything inbetween. And his guitar playing...well, it just blows me away.

Heh, Willy's head wagging...fascinating stuff to watch; he seems almost oblivious to it...but I can't help but think: Jeez, man, aren't you getting dizzy??

I had fun watching his bass player. He injured his left index finger; it was in a splint. Yet he re-configured his fingering and played flawlessly...wow!

A great show and memorable evening, to be sure!

Jo

11:21 PM  
Blogger randomrunnings said...

And the Thai beforehand added to the evening too!

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home