Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Dairy State

random
Over the weekend I read the article in the NY Times about California being poised to overtake Wisconsin in cheese production. California moved in with 2.14 billion pounds of cheese production last year compared to Wisconsin’s 2.4 billion pounds. Over 10 years ago California surpassed Wisconsin in milk production. I actually think the last time I had a permanent address in Wisconsin, the state was still on top of California in both milk and cheese production so I’ll always identify Wisconsin as the Dairy State. Apparently so will a lot of Wisconsinites:

“Cheese really is part of our identity,” said Terese Allen, a former president of the Culinary History Enthusiasts of Wisconsin who writes about the state’s culinary folklore. “Cheese is the perfect illustration of the Wisconsin personality — casual, fun people who like to make fun of things, including ourselves.”

And who else has Master Cheesemakers?

“Wisconsin boasts the nation’s only “Master Cheesemaker” certification, for its most accomplished veteran makers (there were 47 as of April) and one of the earliest cheese-making education programs, at the University of Wisconsin.”

Each trip back to my parents I always try to stop at the dairy near my hometown for some cheese. I’ve even taken to bringing cheese and cheese curds back for a few friends.

Cheese as a state’s identity, master cheesemakers, and supplying friends with cheese -- such cheese passion alone should help hold the title of Dairy State.

runnings

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home