Sunday, September 24, 2006

Kansas City Visits

random
Last week the Kansas City Chamber of Commerce sent 110 civic and elected officials to the Twin Cities to see what makes our cities prosper. An article in a Kansas City paper points out such strong points as a regional planning committee, almost 20 Fortune 500 companies, light rail and clean streets:

"Still, it’s abundantly clear that — by having almost 20 Fortune 500 companies in their midst — Twin Cities residents have benefited for decades from an outpouring of business funds for local projects, such as arts and cultural amenities."

"Many parts of Kansas City and its suburbs look downright filthy when stacked up against the Twin Cities area. The difference is striking.
Twin Cities residents have enough pride in their communities to keep trash off the streets.
Kansas Citians should have that kind of pride in how their region looks to residents and visitors. And this would be one regional effort that wouldn’t need a huge, taxpayer-financed agency to lead the way."

I haven't been to visit my sister and her family since they moved to Kansas City, but it is interesting to see my sister's city take notice of mine.

runnings
Yesterday I went for my last long run before the 10 mile next weekend. Once again I was proven wrong about running alone. I ran into a coworker of mine on his bike on the Greenway (he really does bike everywhere!) and he biked the last 15 or 20 minutes with me. Not only was this thoughtful of him, but it was a good distraction for me too. We had a nice conversation and he even commented that I was doing well if I could hold my pace and carry on a conversation. Even though I know I can complete the 10 mile next weekend since I did one a few weeks ago, his comment still gives me a needed attitude boost. My knee is holding up and I’m looking forward to next Sunday.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes... that doesn't paint Kansas City in the best light, does it! I just want to point out that in our part of the city, we do manage to keep our trash off our streets and make things look relatively appealing to visitors -- so don't be afraid to come visit! :)

5:35 PM  
Blogger randomrunnings said...

Uh oh. Looks like I haven't been getting to see family enough lately. Mom just told me to come visit them too.

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Ancient One thinks you should visit your mother, too. The Ancient One visits his mother occasionally. She is usually happy once the Ancient One leaves. The Ancient One doesn't take it personally anymore.

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home