Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Removed From Regular Life

random
I’ve been trying to figure out all day what to say about the Boundary Waters. I haven’t come up with anything profound, insightful or witty. However, I’ve decided this is okay. I’m not going to try and wax eloquently about the stars in the sky, the loon calls in the night or the seemingly never-ending nature. Instead, it has taken a good day or so back in my regular life to realize what I really got out of this trip. I truly relaxed and let go of so many thoughts and issues for four days. I’ve been on vacation before, but I’ve never really let everything go like this. It could easily be I didn’t have quite as much running around in my head prior to those vacations. But I do think being in such a calm, beautiful place with a group of people I’m completely comfortable with helped me withdraw myself from my usual life, routines, worries and obsessions. A slightly different side of me even came out. I was chipper in the morning (much to a couple people’s chagrin) and I had no make up or hair products (and the toenail polish chipped…). When we all met to take off for the trip one of my friends even commented on my outfit of shorts and a t-shirt with some surprise. But now I've showered (although I swear my hair still smells like a camp fire), put on a skirt and touched up the toenail polish. I'm back to the routines, worries and obsessions but I'm appreciating my vacation a little bit more.

runnings
I went for a fairly long run before leaving Thursday and picked up running again today. I didn't think four days off would matter too much and I even expected to be rejuvinated, but today was a bit of a rough run. I think part of it was running in the direct sun, but some may have been my incorrect expectations of an easy run. It took off a little too quickly and it teaches me to run to how I feel, not to how I expect I should feel.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The trip: sounds quite Zen to me. Letting go, truly relinquishing oneself to an experience outside of "Regular Life"...those opportunities don't arise all that often...I am so glad you had that opportunity...and I am so glad that you made the very best of it, and cherished it. But of course, I knew you would. (Fresh nail polish notwithstanding, you are far, far, from superficial, hon. I know that for a fact.) Enjoy the memory, my dear rr!
Jo

11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone who has known you all your life I, too, am amazed that you were chipper in the morning.

9:51 AM  
Blogger randomrunnings said...

Ok... that has to be Mom. Just remember... my sister is worse in the morning!

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOO.... I remember it being entirely the other way around. I'm sure I was always the chipper one in the morning and you were the one who was just plain scary. :) Just ask your bro-in-law. He'll tell you that I'm always a ray of sunshine first thing in the A.M.!

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home