Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Packed for the BWCA

random
I'm packed. I'm ready to go. I think. I leave tomorrow for the Boundary Waters for five days and I don't think I’ve ever packed so little in clothing and toiletries for a vacation. There are somewhere around 200,000 visitors to the Boundary Waters every year. I wonder how many of them make sure they have fresh toenail polish. I did.

runnings
I did get to go for a 5 mile run yesterday evening. I took off from my gym downtown, which I have never done before because I have been concerned about the number of stoplights before reaching the signal-free River Road area. I just don’t really like stopping during my runs. It was late enough in the evening so there wasn't much traffic and I seem to be getting down the art of weaving through streets based on walk signals.
It was a little refreshing to add a downtown stretch to my run. The scenery and people I passed while running through downtown were in contrast to the rest of my run by the river. The people I crossed paths with were not generally people out to get exercise or to enjoy the weather. They seemed to either have a solid destination or were simply loitering with no destination at all. Rather than an out of breath nod like those I’ve frequently received from other runners, these people were either indifferent or observing me as brief entertainment. Of course, I guess I was doing the same.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my dear rr.....toenail polish. Why does that not surprise me? You have >style<, and then some, rr! :^)

Ooo, ooo, just got the latest National Geographic the other day--love that mag--and there is a great article on, of all things, shoes. The history of shoes, from skins and twine of ancient man, to ridiculously expensive and utterly unwearable Fifth Avenue numbers...shoes as function, shoes as fashion....absolutely fascinating. I'll lend my copy to you. All the while I was browsing the article, I kept thinking that your blog entry and marvelous photo of your beloved pink sandals totally belonged on these glossy, sophisticated pages! :^)

Have a wonderful time at the Boundary Waters, rr...but I know you will...can't wait to read your blog on it!

Jo

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home