Saturday, September 02, 2006

Dan Patch and the Minnesota State Fair

random
I don’t make the Minnesota State Fair every year but I have been enough times to know there is a Dan Patch Avenue. However, I only recently discovered the source of the street name. Mid career, the harness race horse, Dan Patch, was purchased by Marion Savage and moved to Minnesota. At the Minnesota State Fair 100 years ago, Dan Patch set the world record for the mile in harness racing at 1:55 flat. Perhaps more interesting is that Dan Patch was also a member at Wesley United Methodist Church. Marion Savage gave money to the church in Dan Patch’s name, complete with his own envelopes, making him like a member of the church.

runnings
I feel like I've been in pursuit of a good run. Lately I've been hoping each run would feel good and feel like an accomplishment. I didn't have any great runs this past week, but today I found that good run. I went for an 8 mile run on the Minnehaha Parkway. First, I was excited to do this route because it is interesting in its path and varied scenery. I was also up early enough (7 am on a Saturday!) and it was overcast so the temperature wasn't a factor. And when I finished my run I had the layer of salt. For some reason I feel like I've accomplished something if I've sweat enough to get the salt dusting. This is somewhat new to me and when I first experienced it I thought it was dust and dirt. Sweat residue makes more sense as I'm sure I'm not moving along fast enough to kick up that much dirt!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Ancient One wants to put a rumor to rest. The Ancient One WAS at the Minnesota State Fair to see Dan Patch set the record 100 years ago. However, the Ancient One missed the actual race.

The Ancient One went to get a corn dog, a pork chop on a stick, and a deep-fried snickers bar on a stick. On the way to the race track, the AO stopped to watch the fish at the DNR exhibit.

Stick food is great.

The fair should offer food on a stick again.

Ancient one

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, nice to see your interests posted, my dear. Hmmm...you may want to add retro jewelry/flea markets? Or knitting? Or fine wines. Or charcoal art. Or the New York Times. And, goodness, how about shoes?! >G!< Or Making and Serving Chili For a Crowd? Oh, the possibilites are endless, eh? :^)
Jo

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home