Friday, June 30, 2006

Appeal of Light Rail

random
Wednesday the Met Council approved light rail along the Central Corridor . This means the council chose to approve the project to put in light rail to connect Minneapolis and St. Paul instead of other options, such as bus rapid transit. LRT on the Central Corridor isn’t a done deal yet, but this is its start. I would be excited to see a completed route between the two cities and would be much more likely to use LRT than the bus rapid transit. The Hiawatha line already exceeded pre-construction estimates in its first year by 58%.

I have to admit that I am not good about taking public transportation, but I have found myself using LRT on occasion. I think there are a lot of people who would otherwise drive that would use the light rail. What is the appeal of LRT over buses? Is it the ease of use? You just buy a ticket and hop on. Right now with one line, it is easy to navigate too. Even with an additional line, it would be a bit simpler than deciphering several bus schedules. I believe some of the attractiveness of the LRT is that it feels more modern and cosmopolitan. Busses run in little towns, but subways and light rails belong to the big players. The LRT along the Central Corridor is definitely the more expensive option, but it also seems to be the option that would encourage more use.

runnings
I'm heading to the gym to work in a run now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home