Thursday, June 22, 2006

Adult Macaroni and Cheese

random
Last night I was so hungry and so out of groceries that I made macaroni and cheese. I had a leftover box from when I watched my nieces and nephew… oh… nine months ago? In an effort to make it a little more than a box of powdered cheese and stale pasta, I added salmon and capers. I remember having macaroni and cheese with tuna as a kid and salmon and capers seemed like a bit more of an adult version. Of course, I must have had this tuna combo at a friend’s house, as my mom would never deign to put tuna in mac and cheese, let alone make it from a box. My mom's macaroni and cheese was the perfect mix of freshly grated, gooey cheese and noodles. Being from Wisconsin, we only ate real cheese. In fact, I don't think I had cheese out of a can until I was in college.

I still love cheese and it's one of the things guaranteed to be in my fridge (along with a jar of pickles), but the salmon, capers and macaroni mix wasn't quite what I had hoped it would be. I then had to remind myself I never really liked macaroni and cheese with tuna either.

runnings
I passed up another motorcycle ride and instead did a 4 mile run on River Road. I figured since it was mostly cloudy it wouldn’t be so bad. Of course the sun came out while I was running and it was about 77 degrees. I tried hard to tell myself to take it easy so my time wasn't any too speedy, but the run felt pretty good; I was just warm. Perhaps I should start carrying water on these runs. Previously I’ve just carried water on 6 mile+ runs.




4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You bought a motorocycle?

3:58 PM  
Blogger randomrunnings said...

Nah, not yet. I just bum rides off friends I work with!

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, my dear, don't knock cheese in a can. Really, you haven't lived until you have thrown your head back in wild abandon, opened your mouth wide, and sprayed cascades of lovely neon orange strands of cheez-wiz onto your tongue...pure bliss!

Well. Anyway. That's >my< reason for getting up in the morning. Your results may vary.

:^)

What is in a name? "random runnings"...how very appropos and clever and altogether fitting. Plus, I like it....!

Welcome to the Blogosphere, hon!

Jo

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The canoe trip is before the TC so you had better be in shape by then. You are going aren't you. Oh no is it your knee again?

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home