Sunday, October 05, 2008

First Marathon

random

runnings
I think I did a lot of things right leading up to the marathon. RF and I remained focused on our training while enjoying ourselves, I rested up through the week, and I hydrated and ate well. But there is one thing I’ll change for the next one. No cleaning the day before. Last night I dropped something on my left big toe that left me in tears. My mantra through the pain was “it has to be ok”. There was no choice; I was running the marathon today. My toe throbbed through the night and it wasn’t fun putting on my shoe this morning, but at least by mile 9 I couldn’t feel my toe anymore. Part of that may have been mentally getting over the annoying pain, but much of it could have been due to the cold and rain. Down pour might be exaggerating, but it sure felt like it. I think we were rained on for two to three hours. My hands were so sore that I lost most dexterity. We were drenched, but honestly, we were all smiles. Running up Summit we both we just so thrilled to be feeling good (relatively speaking) and finishing a marathon. Our friends and family along the course were amazing support and really made a difference. Even strangers cheering for us pulled us through to a 4:20 finish. I’m thrilled. My toe hurts, is purple and is sure to be missing a toenail soon, but I’m honestly thrilled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home