Thursday, August 21, 2008

With a Bang

random
Yesterday evening I broadened my horizons. I shot a gun. I’m not a fan of guns and I really had no desire to even handle one. However, a friend of mine offered me the opportunity to try it out and go to a range. Well, why not I guess. I can be a bit of a jumpy person (as my sister, who used to run up the stairs ahead of me when we were young and jump out of a bedroom and startle me even though she was only a few yards ahead, can attest to) so I had to first adjust to the other guns going off in the room. Once past that I had to adjust to being the one creating the startling noise in the room. We first shot a Rugar Mark II 22/45, a .22 caliber semi-automatic. (Perhaps saying it is a Rugar Mark II 22/45 is enough to imply it is a .22 caliber semi-automatic, but since it doesn’t mean much to me, I figured I’d clarify.) Considering it was the first time I even touched a gun, I think my spread wasn’t too bad:


The next gun was a Smith and Weston Model 66 with a 2.5” barrel. Again, this doesn’t mean much to me except that it was a revolver. Apparently it is a .357 magnum, although we shot .38 specials. Whew. I’m pretty sure I shouldn’t be around .357 magnums if I startle easily. This time my friend and I shared a target. We each shot 6 rounds. The target shows 11 hits. I’m guessing one of mine was the one that went off the target, but my friend can attest to the fact that one of the ones right in the center was my first shot.


I will admit, this appeals to my competitive side and I’d try it again. However, when some guys showed up with some sort of huge gun next to us whose noise was beyond startling and shook the air in the room, I was reminded I’m not a fan of guns.

Over all though, much thanks to my friend. My horizons are broadened with a bang!

runnings
4:30am tomorrow. Ow.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Ancient One is impressed!

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never tried shooting (wishing now that I hadn't passed up an opportunity I had to try it in KC) and I know NOTHING about guns... but it looks to me like you did great for your first time out! :-) And I'm SURE I was never mean enough to scare you like that when we were young... ;-)

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home