Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Minneapolis Marathon

random

runnings
The Minneapolis Marathon was definitely a different experience than the Twin Cities Marathon. First, I ran a 4:37 and I’m happy with it, even at 20 minutes off my previous marathons. It was warm and it was not an easy course. I also felt amazingly good the day after. My muscles were sore, but I was walking normal. While my pace was off, I believe I really am in good marathon shape if I’m functioning and ready to run again two days later. Of course, I won’t quite yet. The other difference I found was the last 6 miles. In the Twin Cities, the final stretch is filled with spectators. The Minneapolis has plenty of bare spots, making it easier to pause for a walk. I’m sure I’ll never run a full 26.2 without a walk, but I think this one added up to a bit more. Again, this strategy seems to have given me a great recovery though. Finally, the Minneapolis Marathon was smaller and easier to take in as just another run. There was under a quarter of the runners that are in the Twin Cities, fewer spectators, and less hype. As much as I thought a few times during the run that I’m not interested in running the Minneapolis Marathon again, I have to admit, a couple days later it has an appeal as something to just… do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home