Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Shoe Is On

random

runnings
I finally was able to put closed-toe shoes on this week and actually donned running shoes today. My toe is still quite sore so I only went for a short run, but within in a few miles I had two very different feelings. As my first run since the marathon, the best I can describe the start of it was like an operator trying to keep a piece of machinery from seizing up. My muscles weren’t tight as much as they were simply immediately constricting with my movement. Yes, I should have stretched more before the run and probably for the week and a half I wasn’t running. I also should have tried to run before now, but the whole inability to comfortably wear a running shoe wasn’t helping. I did loosen up and around the same time I ran into a fellow runner I’ve seen on the trail periodically over the last few years. When he first asked over a year ago if I was running the 2007 marathon I had to answer no. At that point, I found I wanted to run a marathon largely so I could answer yes to that question. It was a desire to have the statement of accomplishment. When I ran into this person today, I was excited to tell him I ran the marathon, but I was more excited to share the experience than state the accomplishment. I’m proud of what I’ve done, but I’m more excited about the whole experience I’ve discovered. Over the last week or so I’ve found myself thinking about the physical and mental feelings I experienced during the marathon and wanting it all over again. I don’t just want to be able to say I finished a marathon. I want to keep running marathons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home