Wednesday, October 07, 2009

2009 Twin Cities Marathon

random

runnings
I took my time writing a blog entry for the marathon because I needed to be sure I could focus on the ups versus just the downs. I ran much of it alone, which I didn’t expect, so I went through a pretty big low for almost 6 miles. By half way I realized I was already feeling taxed in my legs and the mental game began. I had to break up the next 6 miles to encourage myself through. Mostly I used water stops as milestones but my drumming friend was around mile 16 or 17 so I also wanted to push through to her. I do believe seeing her in all her excitement and exuberance started the mental game on the upswing. I gave myself permission to run the race however I had to and by the time I hit mile 19 and the St Paul side I honestly was suddenly remembering I like running. I had some walking moments after that, but I still finished a bit better than last year at 4:14:22. I do now feel positive about the marathon, but I can’t explain the almost emotional wreck I also feel about it. I had such ranges of emotions, but focusing on the positive:
  • I improved over last year.
  • My time at the half marathon point (1:58:36) is better than any of my half marathons lately.
  • As another (talented!) running friend pointed out, it’s the incredible runners that deal with the downs and overcome them, and I did that. I pull through my low.
  • It was great running weather.
  • Spectators are amazing and so important.
  • So many friends have been so supportive and encouraging. I even arrived home to congratulatory flowers.
  • I have some swelling, blisters, and aches, but I seem to have come through without injury.
  • I still want to run the Twin Cities Marathon next year.
  • I plan to drink a lot of coffee this week. No more cutting back!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jojo said...

Oh, really, the pleasure--and honor!--was all mine to drum you along to your goal...again, I am so proud of you...it takes incredible discipline and dedication to run a marathon...*enjoy* that coffee, my dear...you deserve it!!

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home