Saturday, February 24, 2007

The Turing Award

random
The Turing Award, a top prestigious award in computer science, was awarded to a woman for the first time in its forty year history. On February 21, 2007, the award was given to Frances E. Allen for “pioneering contributions to the theory and practice of optimizing compiler techniques that laid the foundation for modern optimizing compilers and automatic parallel execution”. This article about Allen and the award has an interesting statistic about women in computer science:
“But computer science still is dominated by men. Fewer than one in five bachelor's degrees in computer science were given to women in 1994, according to the Computing Research Assn. Ten years later, that figure remains about the same, at 17%.”
In my ten years in the industry, I do feel like I’ve had some success and I am keenly aware that success is within a male-dominated industry. However, as I try to figure out my career aspirations, I find myself moving away from programming and more towards managerial and people oriented positions. While still technical, I wonder if I am taking myself out of that 17%. I’m capable and hesitantly say talented in the field, but people and leadership appeal more to me.

runnings
Unfortunately, I'm still sick and haven’t been able to do any sort of exercise all week. I think I’m finally on the up swing today though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home