Thursday, December 21, 2006

A Lutheran Exhibit

random
I just learned about an exhibit at the University of Minnesota in the Elmer L Andersen’s atrium gallery. It is “A Mighty Fortress Far from Lake Wobegon” and is about Lutheran churches in the Twin Cities and their diversity. As a Lutheran, I know there are still plenty of Garrison Keillor’s stereotypes (yes, we’re good at pot lucks), but as a resident of Minneapolis, I know there is a changing landscape of demographics. Allison Adrian, the creator of the exhibit, found a large amount of ethnic diversity in Lutheran churches while creating her dissertation on Lutheran church music in the Twin Cities. I probably won’t make it to the exhibit, which runs through Dec 29th, due to travel plans, but I found a couple articles about it. Here are some interesting bits from them:

“Between 1990 and 2000, Minnesota's foreign-born population increased 130 percent to more than 260,000, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Minnesota currently ranks highest in the nation for proportion of refugees to residents and second in the nation, after California, in the number of refugee arrivals.”

"As a native Minnesotan, I have always been interested in perceptions of who Minnesotans are," she says. "As an aspiring ethnomusicologist, I am interested in the ways people decide to make music. I combined these two interests when I began researching for my dissertation [and] I found a surprising amount of ethnic diversity within the Lutheran church, especially given the media's portrayal of Minnesotan Lutheranism as Scandinavian. This diversity is dramatically apparent in the worship music featured in Lutheran services around the Twin Cities."

runnings
One problem with not training for a race is I'm finding myself letting work take over. I'm skipping noon runs in favor of doing work.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

RR, thanks for highlighting this exhibit! What a fascinating spin on topics near and dear to my heart. I'm going to plan to visit it before it closes! ~Conie

10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In regards to skipping the noon run in favor of work.....I also find myself in this predicament.

-Plimps

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home