Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Relay?

random

runnings
Last year I discovered the Great River Ragnar Relay, a 205-mile team relay over 24 hours in August from La Crosse WI to Minneapolis MN. I posed this to a few running friends as something to tackle last year, but they all decided it didn’t sound like a fun way to spend one of their last summer weekends. I personally think it sounds like a lot of fun. And I just had a friend come to me with a spot to fill on her team this year. Now my conundrum is if it is a good idea to tackle while training for my first marathon. The end of August would be when I’d be attempting some key distances. I can always see about adjusting the runs and I’m pretty sure one or two of my friends training with me would adjust with me. I’m also concerned that this challenge could lead to injury, but on the other hand it could also lead to some added mental strength. I need to think about this, but I also need to decide soon.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This reminds the Ancient One of a canoe race through the BWCA with some of his guide buddies. The race involved 3 or 4 canoes, 2 people to a canoe, and approximately 50-55 miles. The objective was to complete the course without stopping. As the Ancient One recalls, it started out at Nina Moose...and ended up near Ely.

Fun.....Oh yes.
Exhausting.....Oh yes.
Great memories......Definately!

The race formed a bond with shared memories of crossing lakes under a fantastic, full moon, hearing the wolves howling, and seeing morning steam on the water through the first rays of sunlight
.
Interestingly, almost no words were spoken during the race. The Ancient One, and friends, weren't very chatty when paddling.

RR, it sounds like a memory making race. But, injuries are a definate concern.

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home