Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Minneapolis Top Ranked

random
Minneapolis has been ranked by Forbes as the top city on their list of Most Affordable Places to Live Well. The rankings were based on housing affordability, cost of living index and arts and leisure availability. From the article:

Indeed, Minneapolis has top-notch cultural institutions, whether they be theaters, music halls or museums. The Guthrie Theater, for example, is considered one of the premier facilities in the country. The Twin Cities receive funding from local corporate foundations including those of Target, 3M, Best Buy, General Mills, Cargill and United Health, and from charitable institutions like the Minneapolis Foundation, which manages just under $700 million in assets.

The arts in the Twin Cities is something I’ve grown to really enjoy over the years I’ve lived here. My mother even makes trips from Wisconsin to come to various plays and shows. I recently went to the Lowry Lab Theatre which the Theatre Space Project uses to provide an affordable venue to over 100 local theatre companies without their own space. While the big theatres are well known, I personally think part of the draw of the arts scene is the lesser known venues and companies.

runnings

1 Comments:

Blogger Conie said...

RR, I have to agree with you. Thu nite I attended Theater Latte Da's production of La Boheme at the Sourthern Theatre. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, because not only were the musical performers wonderful, but the setting was so intimate it drew you in.
I'll be seeing MN Opera's production of Rossini's Italian Girl in Algers this week. My seats are way in the back at the top of the house, so the sounds is really good. Intimate? Not so much.
Go Minneapolis-St. Paul!!!

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home